Independent Medical Evaluation (IME)
Chicago workers' compensation Lawyer
In some cases, injured workers may undergo an independent medical evaluation (IME). Depending on the results, the workers’ insurance company or employer may terminate important benefits or the case altogether. It’s important to have strong legal help if this is the case. At Leonard Law Group, our Chicago workers’ compensation attorneys have years of experience and have an established track record of success in handling workers’ compensation cases. Since 1995, we’ve recovered more than $500 million for our clients.
For client convenience, we offer free second opinion case reviews and Spanish speaking legal services. Call (312) 487-2513 today to learn more about your legal options.
What Is an Independent Medical Evaluation?
An IME is a medical visit with a specialist of the insurance company's or employer's choosing.
Section 12 of the Illinois Worker's Compensation Act governs independent medical evaluations.
- Attendance at an IME is mandatory. Failure to attend or late arrival and cancellation will result in benefit suspension until such time as the IME is rescheduled and attended.
- The injured workers benefits are reinstated when the examination takes place until such time as the doctor’s report is tendered to the injured worker.
- The injured worker should bring all diagnostic films to the visit, such as MRI's, X-rays, and CT Scans.
- The IME doctor can be located anywhere and, in some rare cases, an IME visit can require plane travel if the injured worker moves out of state subsequent to an injury.
- The injured worker must be paid a travel check to attend the IME.
- The prevailing mileage reimbursement rate in Illinois in 2016 is 59 cents per mile.
- The insurance company or employer can stand on the opinions contained in the IME report in order to terminate benefits or deny the injured workers’ case.
Have you attended an IME and have your benefits been terminated following said examination? Contact Leonard Law Group for an immediate consultation.